Monday 1 June 2009

All that glisters...

I used to be proud to call myself a journalist at one time. But over the years I feel my profession has been badly let down by many of its practitioners. Top of my list is Piers Morgan. How that man has the brass neck to sit on the Britain's Got Talent panel when he presided over the City Slickers scandal at the Mirror I don't know. But similar examples of poor journalism occur weekly. The latest incident to rile me follows. Take a look at this website. Impressive huh? Now go here. If the link does not work the two journos wrote a piece about Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi for which The Guardian in June had to publish a lengthy apology and correction. The article contained more than a dozen errors.As Shakespeare wrote in the Merchant of Venice: "All that glisters is not gold."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I missing something? What has Piers Morgan got to do with a Guardian article on Aung San Suu Kyi ?

George Dearsley said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Piers Morgan, in my view, devalued the profession by allowing the City Slickers to ramp shares (among many other things). The two journos who wrote the Guardian piece also devalued it by an apparently very shoddy piece of work for which the paper has had to apologise.